03 December, 2009

Thanksgiving 2009


This year, we went to Wild, Wonderful West virginia to spend Thanksgiving with Scott's Dad and Alma. This is the New River, near where they live. Beautiful scenery!

On Friday night, the Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine had a Chirstmas light show and brief mine tour. I'm glad we went-- it was soooo cool, and awesome that the Jeff and Heayo came with us! Brother-in-law Jeff, sister Heather, and niece Emily inside the Exhibition Coal Mine.

Scott, me and Emily in front of the cool train we rode for the tour. Yeehaw!

Jeff, Heayo and Emi on the ride into the mine. Can you believe it was warmer inside the mine than out?

The cool miner dude who drove us on our tour-- there were so many light displays and great seasonal tunes. Awesome!

This was the coal mine boss' home circa 1900-ish. There's Scott right where he would have needed to be-- in the kitchen... if I'd had to cook, we definitely would have starved.

Here Emi and I are in the old schoolhouse. Thank goodness we didn't get caught talking in class-- according to the punishment list posted there in the classroom, each of us would have received 5 lashes.

Ticket to West Virginina-- $600... entry to exhibition coal mine-- $5... Scott pretending to be a pastor-- priceless!

Emi sang Amazing Grace at the front of this old church and did such a great job-- she has such a sweet little voice, and isn't she adorable?

After visiting the coal mine, and seeing as I brought Christmas gifts with me, we decided to hold a pre-Christmas. Here are Scott's eldest sister Leisa, and her two cute boys, Caleb and Jacob. Both boys have such cute different personalities and are a riot to play Wii with. I'll miss them till next time!

Look at these two handsome guys! That "Mills Curse..." good thing they both have broad shoulders! ;- )

Here are Mark and Alma with Emi. They are so much fun-- I love them to pieces!

Here's the whole fam (minus the camera lady, of course). Here you can also see the cute newest addition--little Mikey. He is so mischievious-- always with a piece of chocolate in his hand... or ear.
Although I missed my family here in Utah, I had such a fun Thanksgiving, and am so happy to have such a wonderful family in WV. I spent most of the time in stitches! Mark says the girls and I could be sisters. Well, yes-- we are all VERY, VERY good looking!

After our antics in WV, we took the long... very long... very, very long drive back to DC.

In looking for theater tickets for Thanksgiving weekend, I came upon what looked like a very special find-- an adaptation of Poe's Fall of the House of Usher and Tell Tale Heart. Well, it was 'special,' and we left at the first intermission. Interesting, very interesting!

On Sunday, Scott and I drove to Mt Vernon and, being as it's the holiday season, we were able to see "George Washington's Christmas Camel," or perhaps a close descendant. How old do camels get to be?

Scott and I at Mt Vernon. Nice close-up, Mr. Deville.

What a wonderful holiday weekend! I am so grateful for my family, far and near. What a blessing they are to me. Thank you, Family! Mua, mua, mua!

2 comments:

Denise said...

Thank you for sharing your travels. I sometimes wish one of our families lived out of state just so we had an excuse to get out of Utah. West Virginia looks beautiful. I'm glad you had a good time with your in-laws. That is rare!

The Wiseman Life said...

Looks like a really fun Christmas! You and your hubby are so adorable.